Saturday 21 April 2012

Project Abnormal

Hey, I'm Louise, and I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes in 1993 when I was 3 years old. I've been on an insulin pump since 2001 (I think?), and just got a new Animas Ping in February!

I'm a Calgary (Alberta, Canada) baby but I'm going to school at the University of Victoria in BC. Currently I'm training for a half marathon, playing soccer with several different teams (intramurals and womens leagues), trying to raise my GPA, working as a research assistant in a stroke rehab laboratory, and trying to live a "normal" life.

That's where the name, Project Abnormal, came from.

What in the world does "normal" mean?

Especially for a diabetic. I've caught myself complaining about my blood sugars and talking about how "weird" they are...but when aren't they? I can't remember a period of time longer than maybe 3 or 4 months, EVER, where I had consistent, good numbers, without feeling absolutely overwhelmed every day by my type 1.

It's always a battle. I've had diabetes for as long as I can remember, and I've never really known another way of life, but it doesn't mean that it EVER gets easier, or less frustrating to deal with.

Right now I'm battling a new exercise routine (lots of running - and different lengths/intensities of it - while I'm training for the half), and a lot of high blood sugars, so I've been looking online for support groups and people to connect with who are going through the same things. I decided to start this blog to express my frustrations, tips and tricks, insights into what's working for me (food/insulin/pumping-wise) while I'm training, and to hopefully connect with others who can share their own stories.



No comments:

Post a Comment